EXTRACT TAKEN FROM THE REPORT TO THE NEW ZEALAND GOVERNMENT BY THE NEW ZEALAND NAVAL BOARD 1ST APRIL 1947 TO 31ST MARCH 1948
Section II. GENERAL SURVEY OF THE YEAR
5. BELLONA has been employed in a training role since May 1947 and has provide most useful as a training cruiser. This involves constant changes in personnel to be trained thus the ship cannot be regarded as fully operational, but during the current Fleet expansion BELLONA will continue as a training cruiser until new ships are manned as fully operational units.
6. Due to discharges in April 1947, as a result of a number of ratings failing to represent certain alleged grievances through proper channels, a limited number of WRNZNS were entered to meet immediate requirements. Government approval has been obtained for a permanent establishment of WRNZNS on a limited scale, a step which assists the manning situation and constitutes an important asset to the Royal New Zealand Navy.
10. Waitangi Ceremony – The annual ceremony to celebrate the landing of the first Governor, Captain Hobson RN was held in February. HMNZ Ships ARABIS, ARBUTUS and HDML 1183 visited Waitangi for the ceremony, which was witnessed by the Chief of Naval Staff.
Section IV. WELFARE
15. Efforts are being made to improve the extremely unsatisfactory position as regards the housing of the families of naval personnel. In addition to converting houses adjacent to the Naval Base at Auckland and at Narrow Neck Transit Camp, it is hoped to provide accommodation at Belmont Park. Married quarters are being provided for personnel at Waiouru W/T Station. To date twelve flats for ratings have been completed and are occupied.
16. The training establishment TAMAKI was completed as a temporary wartime measure and the accommodation there is unsatisfactory. Plans are being prepared for a permanent establishment more in keeping with the increased size of the RNZN.
Housing – work has commenced on the construction of twenty-three housing units for naval personnel at Narrow Neck Camp.
A block of the Naval Barracks is being altered to provide suitable accommodation for WRNZNS personnel.