John Vernon Dallow – Crosses the Bar

Regret to advise that our shipmate and Communicator John Vernon Dallow crossed the bar 17 April 2019.  Dickie, as he was fondly known, joined the RNZN on 13 March 1947 as a Boy.  He left the Navy 21 September 1955 as a Leading Signalman.  Dickie served in TAMAKI, BELLONA, PHILOMEL, HAWEA, TAUPO, CERBERUS, ROTOITI, NAVY OFFICE WELLINGTON, and BLACK PRINCE.  A celebration of John’s life will be held at Morrison Funerals 220 Universal Drive Henderson at 3pm Friday 26 April followed by a private cremation.

This entry was posted in General Updates. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to John Vernon Dallow – Crosses the Bar

  1. Mike Catlow says:

    RIP Dickie sorry to hear news. Had great conversation with him & wife at Comms 50th as he recounted some of his drafts and time in navy. A nice guy.

  2. Elton Graeme TRICKER says:

    I was quite saddened to hear that Dickie Dallow had crossed the bar.
    It must have been during winter 1949 that John Dallow came to stay with us at Ngaruawahia. When he joined the Navy his father wrote to my father (they were one-time school mates) and asked him whether he would host john when he was on weekend leave.
    During the day John enjoyed the fresh country air while helping in the vegetable garden at our place. In the evenings he would attend the local dance or sit in our tiny well warmed kitchen, drinking my mother’s beetroot wine while she ironed the day’s laundry, and told stories, likely scandalous, about the early days in Island Bay.
    But John, I believe unwittingly, started a spate of Navy enlistments which transpired over the next couple of years. First there was Des Tricker (boy) in 1949, then followed Graeme Tricker (steward), Murray Tricker (radio), Peter Dyson (writer) and Carol Brunton (dental). All of us were former Ngaruawahia school mates and St. Johns Cadets (except Des).
    On-board HMNZS Taupo during National Industrial Strike in June 1951 we loaded coal into a freighter at Westport. But one weekend two coach-loads of sailors were taken to Greymouth to unload general cargo from a coastal vessel, The Puriri. Nets full of boxes were lowered into an open railway wagon. With Dickie Dallow at one end and me at the other we lifted boxes out of the net and stacked them at each and of the wagon. I had taken the last box out of a net and turned around to see Dickie eating pineapple from a tin. I remember well what crossed my mind. “How the hell did he open a tin of fruit without a can-opener?” Graeme Tricker.

  3. Geoff Brindle says:

    Sorry to hear of Dickies passing. A really nice guy. Does seem an error though with his date of leaving the Navy in March 1952 as he was at Tamaki when I joined in September 1952.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s