Just be Aware

A member of our Association thought this would be worthwhile sharing this with you all in case it is something you may come across.

The member stopped at a Self Service Station to fill up with fuel at the weekend.  The member had never used one of these stations before so was a bit cautious.

She filled up with petrol and paid by credit card and went on home enjoying the new experience.

On checking her credit card that night, she found not only had the petrol had been charged but there was a further amount of $150.00 at the same station.  She immediately thought she  had left her card behind  and someone else had used it.

On Monday, she contacted her Bank and they advised that some of these self-service stations are now adding a holding charge on top of the petrol charge until that initial amount is cleared and then the holding charge is then dropped.  The Bank also highlighted a problem that may occur if you use a regular Eftpos or Debit card with a small amount in it – that the holding amount prevents you being able to use your card again until it is all cleared.

This was all news to our member but she thought you should all be aware of it.

Another member wrote which now really asks who is making money out of you..

It is not the Service Station, have a read of the terms and conditions from your bank, the ASB visa and I supose the rest of them have been doing this for sometime, it shows as “Pending” (the $150 is held like a deposit even if the account is in credit) and until the funds are in the account and it is cleared (usually within a day or so) , it shows in a different font.  Once again its all in the fine print and the conditions.  I had the same query and this turned out to be the answer.

7 Responses to Just be Aware

1. john greaves says:

This is exactly the sort of rort ” FAIR GO” would be very interested in. I suggest you contact their office at TVNZ

2. Jan Luttrell says:

Unreal! I use Gull infrequently and this has never happened.

3. Brian Edwards says:

just asked my daughter in Auckland and she informs me it is the norm now as Credit card takes a couple of days to clear. Must be getting too long in the tooth!!! Thoroughly enjoyed the reunion, albeit a tad late for photos. Cheers Pilz

4. Butts says:

Gull is probably making interest on the money that is held, this is legalized fraud.

5. Red Matthews says:

It is not GULL , have a read of the terms and conditions from your bank, the ASB visa and I supose the rest of them have been doing this for sometime, it shows as “Pending”(the $150 is held like a deposit even if the account is in credit) and until the funds are in the account and it is cleared (usually within a day or so) , it shows in a different font.
    Once again its all in the fine print and the conditions.
    I had the same query and this turned out to be the answer.
    A great re-union and I hope to see you all at the next one!!

TTFN:)
    Red M

6. joyce koia tschabold says:

someone is definitely making some cheating cash… lots of interest to be made in a day….

7. Paul Craggs says:

I had an interesting one when I filled up my boat to go out for the weekend. The pump said I was authorised up to $500.00 worth of fuel. After fuelling and putting in $130 worth of fuel I noticed next day I had a $500.00 hold on my card.