1. In December last year I advised the Minister of Defence that I was my intention to abolish the daily sprit allowance.
2. While recognising the historical significance and service traditions associated with the tot, the rationale for the spirit issue as a compensation for poor food and living conditions no longer applied in today’s [sic] navy and the daily issue of strong spirit is simply not appropriate in a high technology service which places increasing emphasis on individual responsibility. Recent tragic accidents, whilst not in themselves bearing directly on my considerations have nonetheless served to emphasise the need for a sensible approach towards the consumption of alcohol. Accordingly, the daily spirit issue will cease with
effect from 1 March 1990.
3. The tradition of quote splice the mainbrace unquote will be maintained as will the authority of commanding officers to approve a special spirit issue following
exceptionally arduous duty.
4. The Minister of Defence has approved a gratuitous issue to the RNZN 50th
Anniversary Trust sufficient rum for 50,000 one-tot miniatures to be produced
for sale in support of the Trusts [sic] objectives.
5. Cancel this message 31 Mar 1990.
Update NotificationsSign up here to keep up to date with the blog. You will receive a notification on a weekly basis. No Blog Update No notification. Subscribe
This website has been designed to enable ex and serving Communications Branch Personnel of the Royal New Zealand Navy to maintain contact with fellow Communicators and to advise members of items of interest as they arise.
We would especially invite serving members of the Communictions Branch to come and visit the site and to access the knowledge of the retired members in any communications projects which they may be assigned. Remember there is years of experience available on tap and all you have to do is ask.
We hope you enjoy your visit and if you have something to add then please don't hesitate to contact us.
Search this Blog