Class from January 1966

Here is an image of a class of Communicators from January 1966.  JRRO was the rank of Junior Recruit Radio Operator and RRO was Recruit Radio Operator given to those who were considered Ordinary Rates.  Not sure how long these ranks were in force or even when they started.  Maybe someone out there can spread some more light on these ranks.

7 Responses to Class from January 1966

The communications rates changed to Radiomen and Signalmen in 1965 – my rate was changed from RO(G)1 to ARD. Perhaps they kept the JRRO/RRO whilst at Tamaki and then Philomel during BBT until they were organised into Sparkers and Buntings.

2. John Bullock says:

,,,, and Jimbo …. still an OD!

3. Frank Lewis says:

You are right Jim as I changed from a Rec(RO) to ORDN on 10 May 1965 IAW with NZNO V7/65 (New Title) – according to my SD’s.

Prior to that Navy Order coming out, all communicators were Radio Operators with their specialisation in brackets; RO(G) – general radio operator (sparker), RO(T) – tactical radio operator (bunting) and RO(W) – electronic warfare operator (not to be confused with the female ROs that came along in the late 70’s).

5. Ian Jacques says:

I joined in Sept 65 as JRRO on to Philly in Jan and after 3 months at North Head decided bunting tosser for and went to JSG

In the 60s and 70s, the RNZN decided to Americanise Branch titles and khaki uniforms for officers and senior rates. Comms and TAS titles were the most affected. In 1976, I was the CRD (Chief Radioman) on Otago and we went to Subic Bay to join up with the USS Enterprise Task Group to carry out RESDES duties. One weekend I had arranged for the Comms Branch to visit Navcommsta San Miguel. The USN put on a bus for us and when we got to the gate at NCS San Miguel, a marine came onboard the bus and asked to see my ID. On perusing said card, he snapped smartly to attention and said “Welcome to NCS San Miguel sir. Hope you and your men enjoy your visit Lt Brown, Sir!”. Somewhat bemused, I returned the salute (from the sitting position) and thanked him. As the bus proceeded to the Receiving Station, I looked at my ID Card. The Marine had obviously not recognised CRD but had gone to what he thought was my rank – colour of hair Lt Brown…