Age of Joining

Currently the minimum age is 17 years to join the RNZN but what was it when you joined?

I joined in 1966 and the age of joining was 16 years 3 months but I know they had Seaman Boys in the January 1966 intake who I believe were only 15 years old.

man's evolution

We know that they were taking boys pre 1914 for training on AMOKURA but interested on what was the age from 1921.

15 Responses to Age of Joining

1. Tony Magon says:

When I joined in Jan 67 the minimum age was 16 years and 3 months.

The last seaman boys were in 1966 and I think you are correct Frank, that the minimum age was 15 years

2. Frank Rands says:

It would appear that boys joining HMS AMOKURA in January 1907 were aged between 13 1/2 and 14 1/2 years and signed for a period of 2 years for training.

In 1954 a report to the New Zealand Naval Board suggests that In postwar years there has been a shortage of young New Zealanders coming forward for the two officer cadet schemes. They are: entry as a Cadet Midshipman at the age of 15-16 years through the Royal Australian Naval College at Flinders, and entry as a special entry cadet at the age of 18 through the Royal Naval College, Dartmouth.

In 1955 a report to the New Zealand Naval Board suggests that as the result of a survey of methods of entry into the Navy the minimum-age requirement of the youth-entry scheme was reduced by four months to sixteen years three months, with a corresponding reduction in the upper age limit of the seaman boy entry. In addition, the youth-entry scheme was broadened to permit entry within this age group to the Seaman Branch. So between 1955 and 1966 the aged of joining was 16 years 3 months however they still had seaman boys joining at age 15.

3. Owen Stuart says:

I joined 19th Jan 1956, turned 16 7th Mar 56, seaman boy

4. Butts says:

I joined May 1971, aged 16 years 3 months.

5. John Snow says:

UK which possibly similar to here boys could join HMS Ganges at 15 although most were 15 and a half. Was like this until school leaving age was compulsory at 16 yrs of age. Myself exactly 15 6 months.

6. ken860@verizon.net says:

I was 61st seaman boys, the last class of boys 23 May 1963, I was 15 years 9 mo old.

7. Peter Broom says:

I joined in November 1947 and from memory the ages ranged from 15years and 2 months to 16 years and 3 months

8. Chris Precey says:

I joined 4 Feb 1954 aged 15 yrs 5 mths and 2 days – some of my classmates were slightly younger than I was – memory tells me the minimum age of joining was 15 yrs 3 mths.

9. John Bullock says:

I joined as an RO, but was only 15 years and had to wait until I was 16 years 3 months for entry (16th Ords)

10. Jon Stafford says:

I joined on the 15th May 1957 at the age of 15 yrs 3 mths and 3 days in the 40th intake.

11. Gary Kingdon says:

Entry age for Seaman Boys was 15 years 3 months whenI joined, Jan 59.

12. Geoff Brindle says:

Minimum age was 15 years 3 months in 1952 when I joined as a Seaman Boy

13. hairy37 says:

Greetings! I joined as a boy on 4 February 1954 aged 15 years and 5 months (30th Boys). Good times at Tamaki, Nelson Division.

14. John Cole says:

Correct Frank, 1966, last intake of Seaman Boys, aged 15 yrs 3 months to 16 yrs 3 mths. . 19 in the intake, 4 were communicators. 66 RNZN Seaman Boy
    in takes from 1941 to 1966.

15. kerry williams says:

i joined on the 16/01/66 o/n nz18639 i was 15years and 10months old,the last class of seamen boys