Half a Century in the Andrew

Well just thought I would tell you about a milestone.  Today, 50 years ago I walked through the gates of HMNZS TAMAKI and joined the RNZN as a Junior Recruit Radio Operator. I was a trickle entry as the intake had commenced 10 days earlier.  Thinking back now I have had a great career and to be honest it seems just like yesterday that I signed on the dotted line.

All the very best to you all and I hope that those of you who are currently serving enjoy a career which has been fruitful as mine.  To those of you who have retired all the best and hope you enjoy your retirement and health.  All the best    Frank

Footnote.  Current intention is to continue serving in the Naval Reserve until my terminal date of 30 Jun 2018 then retire.   Thanks for all the good wishes and congratulations, they are very much appreciated.

Capture

17 Responses to Half a Century in the Andrew

1. Frank Lewis says:

Congratulations Frank on your service. Yes it seems like yesterday, 51 for myself, however keeping in touch with everyone makes it seem as if I have never left. BZ.

2. John Bullock says:

Congratulations Frank on a wonderful dedicated career. You have seen the “Old Navy” and all the changes since,

3. Alan Belcher says:

BZ Frank….. You have done well and done the Communications Branch proud.

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 7:03 PM, RNZN Communicators Association wrote:

> Frank Rands posted: “Well just thought I would tell you about a > milestone. Today, 50 years ago I walked through the gates of HMNZS TAMAKI > and joined the RNZN as a Junior Recruit Radio Operator. I was a trickle > entry as the intake had commenced 10 days earlier. Thinking back” >

4. Jude Loza says:

All the very best Frank in your Retirement….your one of the very best!

5. Jude Loza says:

You are Retiring aren’t you?…

• Frank Rands says:

Hi Jude, Actually no I am in the Reserve now and if they want me they give me a call. I will still be in uniform until 30 Jun 18. So no not quite retiring yet… Thanks for the Congrats..

6. Alan (tug) Wilson PSG says:

Yes Frank they were the good old days, well done, I remember my first March up the hill at Tamaki and being yelled at all the way by some Leading hand, ( welcome to the navy) but they were the days and mates I still remember the most, seems such a long time ago.

7. Dave McCaw. LCOL (retired) CANADA says:

Congratulations Frank. We served together in Washington (20 years ago!) with the CCEB where you made a significant contribution to allied interoperability. You are true professional and a great friend.

8. Alan Peck says:

What a wonderful career. Hearty congratulations to one of the most loyal and dedicated people I know.

9. Bob Young says:

Congratulations Frank. You’ve had a great career. All the best for the future

10. frank (mac) elliott says:

congratulations and salutations frank . you’re an old salt . up spirits . FRANK ELLIOTT

11. Jan Wills says:

Congratulations Frank. A great achievement!

12. Paul Murray says:

Frank what a marvellous achievement and not yet at the end of it. I certainly have enjoyed sharing your company and some of those house painting working bees over the years.

13. Dave Earl says:

Well done Frank, congratulations. And another 50 to follow? All the very best mate

14. Peter McKnight says:

Hi Frank. Although I was just an AB sparker at the time. I thank for the inspiration you gave me on HMNZS Otago throughout the 1070’s deployment to the Far East. You are are a person I looked up to. and helped me a great deal. Bless you Peter McKnight

15. Paddy Long (Dodger) says:

Congratulations Frank, thats a hell of an achievement …all the best for your future, and you must be considering hanging up the hat at some stage too – enjoy that day as well :-}

16. mike dinwiddie says:

Well done Frank enjoy your retirement if you can lol