I had a meeting with the Navy Museum this morning and they are doing some preparation work for an exhibition celebrating the Navy’s 75th Birthday later this year. As a precursor they would like to identify significant events which occurred in the following decades, The 60’s, 70’s, 80s and 90’s. Events could be the Changing of the New Zealand White Ensign, ships going to Mururoa Protests, The last morse transmission or the like. They are not necessarily communications orientated. So come on leave a comment to this post and I will collate your responses. Thanks Frank
- RNZN Medical and Dental personnel serve in Vietnam
- New Zealand sent HMNZ Ships as part of its commitment to the Far East Strategic Reserve (FESR)
- HMNZS OTAGO collided with USS WALKER in Pearl Harbour
- HMNZS ROYALIST got condeseritis on the way home to pay off and decommission.
- Changing of the New Zealand White Ensign
- Introduction of Khaki Uniforms for Officers and Senior Ratings
- Trickle Entry or Recruits into HMNZS TAMAKI introduced
- Native Leave introduced
- Indonesian Confrontation
- Operation Deepfreeze – Antarctic supply (Endeavour II) and weather pickets (USN Relief – Rotoiti and Pukaki. Emergency pickets – Otago and Taranaki).
- 1964/5 Otago weather station ship at 60 south for mid winter evacuation from McMurdo Sound – first such evacuation I believe.
- 1968 HMNZS Haku makes FFV arrest in Bay of Plenty think this may have been the first one – ended up in Tauranga Court.
- Tuesday 13 Feb 1962. 130001Z HMNZS OTAGO from ACNB..Commence Hostilities against CUBA and its Communist Satellites in 24 hours, at 140001Z – Otago went on to War footing, Radio and Radar Silence. All Books, Codes, Signals etc destroyed in accordance with SP 02619. – OTAGO, “stood down” …. Revert to previous orders…. 16 hours later.when Russian Ships carrying Nuclear Missiles to Cuba Turned Back.
- Endeavour makes her last trip down to Antarctica
- HMNZS WAIKATO had an Engine Room fire causing major damage
- NZ contributes to ANZUK Forces
- NZ sends HMNZS Ships Otago & Canterbury to the Mururoa Protests
- Khaki Uniform for Officers and Senior Rates were withdrawn from Service
- HMNZS OTAGO arrested FFV in Golden Bay and court case in Wellington.
- NEWZFORSEA takes over from ANZUK
- Three RNZN Ensigns serve in Vietnam whilst on USN/RNZN Junior Officer Exchange.
- Last RNZN Junior Officers attend Britannia Royal Naval College, Dartmouth, UK.
- Training Division of PH commissioned as HMNZS TASMAN and NTG established.
- RNZN Museum established
- Spithead Review 1977
- 1977 WRNZNS disbanded
- Second Generation Defence Communications Network is established throughout NZ
- The 5th floor of the Cruiser Block was added.
- Operation Armilla Patrols (Indian Ocean)
- Nuclear Ship Debate
- First RNZN Ships visit China (Southland & Canterbury 1987)
- HMNZS IRIRANGI is decommissioned and equipment is remote keyed from NAVCOMMSTA Auckland
- The issue of the daily Tot of Navy Rum was discontinued
- Urinalysis Introduced
- The Auckland Liberty Boat Service was terminated
- ANZAC Ships debate
- Charles Upham purchased
- Senior Rates Uniforms move from 6 Buttons to 8 Buttons