Changing of the NZ White Ensign

An image of HMNZS OTAGO in Singapore in 1968 when we changed from the Royal Navy White Ensign to the New Zealand White Ensign.  ASG HOF French and OSG Frank Rands at the Ensign Staff.  Chief Yeoman was Alec McKenzie and Petty Officer Yeoman was Charlie Cameron,  Leading Hands were Jake Huka and Frank Saunders, Able Rates were Stu Keith and HOF French.  OSG’s were Rands, Cleaver,  Help who else was there?

Click HERE to read the 1967-68 Commissioning Booklet for HMNZS OTAGO

Capture

11 Responses to Changing of the NZ White Ensign

1. Dave Wistrand says:

Posted onto Otago 30 Jan 1968 until 5 March 1970 so guess I was there – think shortly after this we went to Bangkok in company with RN and RAN where a Russian Warship was leaving and Otago was the only one they acknowledged due (to rumour) we had red stars on our flag – Was Bruce Kenyon also a signalman?

• Bruce Kenyon says:

Yes I were indeed … The original LSG was Tom Cassidy who flew out back to NZ from Pearl Harbour as his wife was very ill. I cant remember where I was standing in this ceremony — with my luck I was probably Duty Signalman again

2. John Titmus says:

Wonder why Otago had a Chief Yeoman and a Yeoman

3. Dave Wistrand says:

Just like to add when I was writing the above I saw my next posting was to Waikato on the 13 May so a whole 2 and a bit months ashore at Navradsta then back to sea for 8 months then Advanced Course from 3 Feb to 21 Sept 1971 then away to the UK to pick up Canterbury til Feb 1973 and in the middle of all that got married – No wonder the memory fails and I cannot think of any Shore Based dits. Just saying

4. Casper says:

The next one will be interesting if King John has his way. Surely it will end up with only half a white feather, sorry fern, when the white background is in place?

5. Casper says:

don’t know about anyone else but in my case several large tots……to celebrate

tell me where I can meet u

7. Casper says:

always a welcome here in sunny Invercargill Gunther……………..and others

Results & Implications
    The referendum results are legally binding. Assuming no intellectual property issues, the Flags, Emblems and Names Protection Act 1981 would be updated to reflect the new design. This result would not change the coat of arms, national Māori flag, the flags of Associated States (Cook Islands and Niue), nor the New Zealand Red Ensign (merchant marine), White Ensign (naval), police flag or fire service flag which are based on the current flag.