Wot happened to me Navy?

Have you ever seen this type of ‘ONE FORCE’ reporting NZDF Commander! Defence Force ship Te Kaha! NZDF Engineer! NZDF Medic!    I thought we still had a NAVY!!

Check out this story from the NZ Herald by clicking HERE

Fekkin spare me. Wot happened to me navy?

19 Responses to Wot happened to me Navy?

1. Frank Lewis says:

What the hell is happening in OUR navy. First they dump our tot, make the ships dry, get rid of our plastic sandals and our beloved 10’s are gone and now they want to change our lingo. I am afraid it is led by PC crazy idiots and that starts from the top. I just hope the change of command brings the RNZN back to what is was – as proud service with proud men who even through hardships were proud to serve.

• John Bullock says:

I have also noticed CN referring to sailors as “kids” that have just returned from the Persian Gulf, Somalia, etc. … and it is not the first time he has used the word “kids” to describe the ships company!

2. MOLE says:

PROBABLY QUOTING SOME ARMY PR PERSON WHO DOSEN’T KNOW THEIR ARSE FROM THEIR ELBOW

3. Mike Commons says:

Goes back to when open bridge watchkeeping and being on the upper deck after nightfall was killed off — Everybody has become soft. Think how lovely it will be when they kill off the real NZ flag. Ain’t political correctness just grand?,, I have heard that new ammunition will disintegrate into harmless smoke bombs so that nobody can be convicted of war crimes???????

• Frank Webster says:

Hi Mike – I am wondering if you entered the Navy 1955 ex Pukekohe High – MErvyn joined the Airforce – I the Army Frank Webster

4. Dave Wistrand says:

Beyond comprehension – what do you have pride in anymore? Just waiting for the khaki uniforms again – Flag then republic – it is the creep creep creep towards installing JK (not the ex rugby player) as our first President.

Exercise Joint Venture 1986 held in the Cook Islands had a female reporter from the NZ Herald attached to the JFHQ. She took it upon herself to change the ranks of the female Leading Aircraftsmen in the JF Comms Unit to Leading Aircraftswomen. I feel that the Media worldwide have a lot to answer for in causing unrest by inciting political correctness. religious beliefs and minority uprisings.

6. DJR says:

In the original news release it was stated that the yachtsman was sent on his way rejoicing with Weetbix and Marmite. They apologised for the Marmite. Now the branding police have seen those words deleted.
    In this enlightened age do you not have a choice of Marmite or Vegemite in the RNZN? You are a Marmite or Vegemite ordained at birth and it is a right of passage. I am sure it is in the Bill of Rights somewhere that they cannot force a Vegemite to be a Marmite and vice versa…..

7. Rex says:

Jim, you may be somewhat generous in attributing this disgrace to the media. I would suggest they ain’t that clever to be so consistent. To me it looks like it has been generated by Defence PR. Hopefully not under direction, but that remains to be seen

8. Jan (Skin) Ainsworth ASG says:

Yes a sad state of affairs….are there any real matelots any more. PR/PC Brigade sure have a lot to answer for.

9. Gary Kingdon says:

Looking at the article in the NZ Herald the source for the story is NZME (New Zealand Media and Entertainment). So the blame for sloppy reporting should be directed at them. The only way for such reporting to be corrected and standards improved is for the respective Service Chief (in this case CN) to send a letter to the paper pointing out the error of their ways. Unfortunately, the standards of reporting have slipped markedly, not only here in NZ, but also in Australia and other countries.

10. Mike Commons says:

Hi.. Me again….Talk about the media. First the yacht was rescued by the NZDF ???? I thought it was rescued by the RNZN (or did th army send out a sherman tank. thn it is NZDF Commander Simon Griffiths, The it is Mr, Griffiths. Or is it just that I am becoming a grumpy old Bzstard????

11. Jim Blackburn. says:

To DJR…Dave, when I was a Boy Tel, the saying was that “The Navy could do anything
    to you, even put you in the ‘Family Way’,, but they couldn’t make you LOVE the Bastard”
    So whether ya gets Marmite or Vegemite…..they can’t make you love it……or can they?..

12. DJR says:

What you are seeing is a classic case of a news source owned by an Australian owned who has stripped all of the journalists from the industry SNLR. You are left with an automated news feed managed by a Life Buoy Sentry. This great rescue is in reality a small story with interest localised to NZ. The automated process dances away from the detail in order to get a bland legally correct filler story feed out to the world. You will not see a journalist involved in the story unless said yachtsman chokes on his Weetbix and Marmite.
    A far better rendition of the story will be found with Radio NZ who make the assumption that as a New Zealander you will have a grasp on the fact that HMNZS whatever is a NZ Navy ship.
    Close and passable but still lacking is TV One.
    Thats the way life is boys and girls………

13. Casper says:

Depends where they spread it, Jim?

14. Dave Wistrand says:

I do not think the article and the way it was written was a mistake or error it is deliberate “branding” by those with an agenda (whatever it may be) that kind of change and the consistency of the change throughout the article is not haphazard – Keep a watch on the new cap tallies and retain your old HMNZS ones they may become collectors items

15. Tony Bullock says:

The Herald article appears to be ‘based ‘ on the NZDF press release here http://www.navy.mil.nz/nap/news/media-release.htm@guid=%7B92ce0491-72ca-49b3-9e61-4d33dd279566%7D.htm or here http://www.nzdf.mil.nz/news/media-releases/2015/20150911-nzfhsyits.htm. Clearly, however, it has been ‘edited’ (or is that ‘neutralised’?) for some reason known only to the ‘Horrid’. And unfortunately I doubt any amount of protest to the editors would have the slightest affect.

16. Ian Jacques says:

And another thing, what about the names given to matelots now. You are not a Signalman or Radioman any more, you are a something ‘Combat Specialist’. I would have thought you were one of those once you have joined the Ship’s Company.