General Question 022

Name of ship and country – clue: still in commission and home port is in the Bay of Bengal.

Answer – BNS Umar Farooq (F16) Bangladesh

Capture

14 Responses to General Question 022

1. Alan says:

BNS Umar Farooq F-16 of Bangladesh Navy. Ex HMS Llandaff F-61

2. John Bullock says:

Bangladesh Navy- BNS Abu Bakr F17

3. Chook says:

Bangadeshi Navy Umar Farooq. Used to be HMS Llandaff.

4. Brandon Healy says:

BNS Umar Farooq, ex RN HMS Llandaff

5. David Jasper Robertson says:

BNS Umar Farooq Bangladesh Navy was involved in search for MH370. In my day was HMS Llandaff Sailsbury Class. Guard Ship in Hong Kong. Chittagong based used anti piracy and terrorist patrols. Still in commission because of superior radar fit.

6. DJR says:

Memory is coming back. Prince Charles Lt was SCO when Plumduff came to NZ about 1974. Ship was first major RN ship that was diesel electric. That helps prolong life of ship.

• Jim D says:

Sorry DJ but Prince Charles was SCO on Jupiter. I was at ZLO at the time and as Jupiter’s Type 12 printers were crapping out, we had to change our gear to 50 bauds on the MRL that we had with her.

• gunther says:

very true james he was on Jupiter. how do I know.. I had to take some paperwork over to him from otago when we were their liason ship whilst in Singapore 73/74, he left in Jupiter to head down for the commonwealth games..

• Jim D says:

LLandaff was in NZ at the end of 1975 for Tasmanex 75. I’ve been writing up my sanitised memoirs of my time in Pussers for my five granddaughters and I remember LLandaff and Plymouth being in Auckland and becoming friends with the RSs on both ships – I was on Otago ATT.

7. PB says:

BNS Umar Farooq (F16) Bangladesh Navy, ex HMS Llandaff, Sailisbury Class Frigate

8. Casper says:

Salisbury Class Frigate, formerly HMS LLandaff (F99), now Umar Farooq of the Bagladeshi Navy

fm memory the ship is the ex llandaff, I think that is how it is spelt, india its home now??

10. Brandon Healy says:

She has a type 982 air direction radar and was built to direct aircraft from a carrier however she was down powered at the build stage to 12400 shp diesels instead of the 16000 shp diesels in the original design. She could only achieve 24 knots where as the carrier group was designed around a 30 knot speed therefore the Salsbury class frigates were essentially a design flop they could proceed the carrier group and wait until they caught up but could not keep up when joined by the group. She was also the only one to have a 500 kW turbine as an auxiliary generator. She also was heavier than design though had a good steaming range.

11. Pete says: