Image from 1896 – Dunedin and Port Chalmers Navals on parade at Forbury Park, South Dunedin.
Lt Col William Holden Webb was OIC South Otago Militia. Officer in Charge of the Navals was Captain James Allen. In the 1800’s and early 1900’s, NZ had small contingents of Permanent Militia (Army) backed up by Naval volunteers. The Dunedin/Port Chalmers area office was based at Central Battery, South Dunedin. This was situated across the road from Forbury Park (to the left of the stands) above the beach.
They obviously didn’t have “the thumbs down by the seams of the trousers” rule in those days.