The Naval Ode

If you are called upon to recite the ode it may be appropriate to recite the Naval Ode in lieu of the standard ode.

They have no grave but the cruel sea.
No flowers lay at their head.
A rusting hulk is their tombstone.
Afast on the ocean bed.

They shall not grow old
as we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them
nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun
and in the morning,
we will remember them.

Lest we forget

13 Responses to The Naval Ode

1. Ron taylor says:

It is not accepted to recite the naval ode in lie of the standard ode

2. Who says – it really feeks me off that: One moment we glorify the fight for freedom and expression the next we straight jacket everyone and every occasion with rules on dress, protocol, procedure and structure. If I gave my life for freedom and the possibility of having choice and self expression I would be severely pissed at some of the restrictions placed on events and occasions which appear to be solely for the preservation of the status quo and consequent control. Some structure does have to exist but old age does in a lot of cases equal pedantic behavior. As one who regularly recites the Ode, organises ANZAC Day, Armistice Day and like events it is (as the alert may guess) a pet peeve. ._._.
    PS – Hope I have not over reacted

• Frank Rands says:

David, I agree with your sentiments entirely.. I am not sure of Ron’s lineage but think he must be green..

• Argus says:

(As a long-time lurker 🙂 on this site I’m still peeved at the lack of a ‘Like’ button.)

Although ceremonial has its place and is all very well and good I think that people are more important—I was down at the old steps (Philomel) once when a scruffy weedy looking old tramp was fiddling with a whitebait net on a long pole. I found out later that he was the ex-COMAUK …

• gunther says:

would have to say he may have been weedy looking , but never scruffy. not in all the times i saw him whitebaiting..

old addage dave.. if it feels good do it…

4. Ron taylor says:

Frank I am a Vietnam veteran naval service .i have enquire at RSL headquarters in Perth .as I wanted to recite the naval ode at the broome RSL an the president said to check first .so I did .an they said no .i am only what I was informed of . Iam not green or wet behind the ears .i have salt on my shoulders

• Frank Rands says:

Hi Ron, Thanks for the response. Apologies if the ‘green’ comment struck a raw nerve. Appreciate the contribution and please feel free to comment on any of the posts. We have a wide range of contributors and not all comments left on the blog are in line with everyones opinion or thoughts.

5. Dave Wistrand says:

It does strike me Ron that you are more the victim than the one at fault. If someone such as yourself came into the Waipu RSA with the same request we would “Yes”, I will introduce you and explain the reason you are here and away you would go. In the last two years I have had a ex RSA President (won’t go into names or places) but from the far south (like Tasmania for Australians sorry) come in on ANZAC Day and rant (in front of his Grandson) and members about the positioning of the flag at half mast and when he didn’t get his way vowed never to return and hasn’t. Interesting subject the half masting of flags and “where” on the mast is appropriate or proper. Also this Armistice Day I was gleefully informed of a procedural error at Whangarei (again with flags) (ex Army NCO) which misses the whole point of remembering “Them” and their families. Just for the record it is the old story of a few spoiling it for the many who volunteer their time and emotions. There is an old adage going around my golf course which covers some of this “Experts never volunteer and volunteers don’t know shite”

6. Frank Rands says:

Beware Dave this is from an ‘expert’. When flags are half-masted they should be brought down to a postiion which is two thirds the length of the flagpole and not at half way which I see all the time. Maybe I should never volunteer again on ANZAC Day or Armistice Day and just observe.

• Dave Wistrand says:

One thing I forgot to ask Frank when we were chatting – I have no doubt of your expertise but wasn’t that sometime ago? Done a refresher lately? Can you please amend my last sentence quote of the post and insert “hardly” before “never and change never to read “ever”” and that should cover all – bloody hell “generalisations” will kill you every time.

• Ron taylor says:

Thanks for the comments boys .as I said head office of RSL said no so I shall have to leave it as that i have a mate who is Vice President of nsw RSL will ask him have placed question on an ex navy Facebook site an will see what the key board warriors say just my way of expressing my self.

7. bill bartlett says:

Re “Naval Ode” . Not aware we ever had one ! (RNZN ) – must be a “macka”