HMS PHILOMEL

This image is of HMS PHILOMEL alongside the Training Jetty.  The image was taken in 1939 and she is dressed overall however masthead flag is unknown.  Does anyone know what the occasion might have been?

Capture

11 Responses to HMS PHILOMEL

1. Charles Kenneth Taylor DSM says:

That looks like the old “Cattle Barge” alongside the accommodation ladder, painted all in black in my days.

2. Casper says:

I’m not an ex bunting (praise be to God) and the masthead flag is obviously not in colour, but it looks a bit big for Tango, which would have been inappropriate anyway. I believe that the French Naval Ensign had different width vertical bands, with the one next to the bit of ropey stuff it was tied to being narrower than the other two, as it appears to be in the photo – although why would this have been flown on a training ship (unless it was the only one they had)? Could this be a clue, or is it that I just don’t have any?
    Love light and peace

Looking at the colour tones of the White Ensign, the red appears darker than the blue, which would make the flag flying at the masthead possibly Italian and not French. Therefore, I deduce, my dear Watson, that the ship is dressed overall to celebrate the Italian Ambassador to NZ’s birthday…(for want of a better answer)

• Mole says:

Cant be an Eytie flag as no Coat of Arms in Centre of the flag has to be French with an outside possibility of Belgium after looking at the table in my 1915 Vol1 Manual of Seamanship.

4. Mole says:

Could it be the old White Lady?

5. Casper says:

could be Jim – but if so I bet it was the last time we bought the bloke a birthday present – or at least one that didn’t explode………

6. Dave Wistrand says:

Well I think it pissed down the night before and the flag locker wasn’t covered and they all got wet and the Chief Tosser (for want of a better phrase) said dry them out any old how and sometime in the future some know all’s will be thinking about it for ever

You’ve been at the home brew again, haven’t you…

8. Mike Catlow says:

1939 start of WW2 don’t suppose they were making an occasion of farewelling Achilles going off to war? or perhaps making ready for a Navy Week for the public to gain potential much needed recruits?

9. Dave Wistrand says:

Home brew or not “Drying Flags” was a legitimate piece of work (why have no buntings responded) and I think at the moment I am onto it as good as anyone else

10. Tony Bullock says:

Bastille Day, 14 July 1939??