Number 1 Retires

Mr SHIU Hang Che (Number 1) will be retiring from the RNZN on the 31st July 14. A Morning tea will be held at Vince McGlone Galley, 7 August 14 at 1000 for Mr Shiu and everyone else who have known him during their naval career.

Number 1

More photos can be found by clicking HERE.

Number 1 was born 4 January 1926 and is 88 years old. He has been at sea since May 1947 thus providing 57 years, 2 months service to the RNZN.

He joined the RNZN in 1957, his first ship was HMS St Brides Bay. During his career he served on 9 RNZN ships and 6 RN ships.

He was awarded the QSM for Public Services on Queen’s Birthday Honours 1988 (11 June 1988).

The Leander class frigate HMNZS Wellington was his last sea posting in 1996. Since then, he has been working at the Devonport Naval Base, running a small laundry and providing support to the chefs and engineers on the base.

HMNZ Ships were: ROYALIST, ROTOITI, PUKAKI, TARANAKI, BLACKPOOL, OTAGO. WAIKATO CANTERBURY and WELLINGTON.

He served in two conflicts- Korean War and Malaya/Borneo.

The article below was taken from the NZ Herald in 1996 and discusses his first retirement at sea after completing the last HMNZS Wellington trip.  Click on image to enlarge.

number one_n

8 Responses to Number 1 Retires

A gentleman and a scholar with a terrific memory. First came across him in Royalist 1965 and the next ship that we were together on wasn’t until Canterbury 1982. It would appear that the Chinese have terrific memories. I met a bar girl in Sembawang in 1965 in the Melbourne Bar and she was still there in 1982. Unfortunately, I had my wife with me at the time and she came up to me and said “Ah – Rim Rell – you wanna buy me a drink…”

• John Bullock says:

Don’t tell me Jimbo you are afraid of SWMBO? If the truth was really known you left her up the road at a “ladies” shop!

2. davesyn says:

What a great story,have fond memories of clean well press clothes. If at the morning tea say thank you for me.

3. john snow says:

Yes memories come back of the well ironed and starched shirts from the laundry. But again as an aside I think our CNS lives on another planet now when he remarks that back then we did not worry about clothes being unironed and scruffy. B&@@@ux

• gunther says:

i have just read jolly jacks comment in the herald this morning, what planet was he on back then. bugger me. and don’t quote me but I think we had more uniforms then than they do now..i think ill send him and email..

4. Albie Cross says:

Ne hao. memories of fine pressed laundry comes floating back of one “john” we had on Pukaki who was usually working in the background when you made a pick up. . He would take a swig from a water bottle and execute a very fine misty spray from a gap between his two front teeth while gently tugging on the lobe of his left ear.

5. FRANK MACLEOD ELLIOTT says:

I RECALL NO1 . DID MY OWN DOBBYING AND PRESSING . WAS NEAT
    AND NATTY AT ALLTIMES AS WE WERE BEING COMMS RATINGS . ARE THEY
    STILL IN EXISTENCE ?
    FRANK ELLIOTT

6. Jonah says:

I think I enjoyed the scrans that him and No2 made on Canterbury, won tons, chicken rice, oh yeah,s dhobes were good too
    Jonah